6/16/17

Lately


Reading
I usually read children's or teen fiction, classics, and non-fiction. But this week I craved books about grown-ups. So I breezed through the adult section and picked out a few promising-looking books. I usually read from my list and vet each book carefully, so this is definitely a departure for me. I'll let you know if I find any gems.


Cooking
Each of my big kids is helping me pick and cook a dinner each week throughout the summer. We did this last summer too. I try not to interfere in their selections, but I won't let them make the same thing every week.


In the garden
I've been getting up early every morning and spending half an hour in the garden. This is allowing me to reduce guilt, enjoy the garden, and catch up all at once! Oh, and spend quality time with Red Chief: ever since he found out what I was doing, my early riser has been getting up to help me.


In the home
I have a new summer schedule that's been going very well. For months I have been focusing on daily routines, but I am shifting to a new focus on weekly routines. I really have to get down to business and get my work done quickly because my children demand (and deserve!) a lot of attention in the summer.


Pip
Talks a lot. And sings. And yells. Family meetings are a bit hard because no one can hear anything. But he is just about the cutest thing ever created, so it's hard to get mad at him. His latest pleasure is foot baths in the bathroom sink: we soak his dry and cracked feet, then rub in cream and put on socks. The socks never stay on for long, though!


Tiger Lily
Started ballet this summer. Loves it. She'll also be starting twice-monthly activities with girls her age at church soon. I will be trying to schedule lots of time with friends for her this summer, as she is a social creature and pines when she doesn't see enough people.


Red Chief
French horn. Legos. Peanut butter on a spoon. Green olives. Comic books. Microscope. Stargazing.


Music
Orchestra is out for the summer and I definitely miss it. I am still teaching over the summer, though, and I have some viola practicing to do: my viola student is moving along quite fast, and I need to learn the songs in the next book (viola is not my main instrument, so I'm not as familiar with the repertoire).


Weather
We've been having beautifully cool weather with plenty of rain and thunderstorms. I could live with this indefinitely!


Creating
Struggling to get the motivation to sew. I promised Tiger Lily a white dress for her baptism, which is coming up next month.


Learning
Taking a weeknight class at church on personal finance. I am learning a lot, and surprisingly, it's mostly spiritual. I'm glad I signed up!


Quote
"I wish I'd a knowed more people. I would of loved 'em all. If I'd a knowed more, I would a loved more."
Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison


Wondering
How to keep my balance this summer, so I keep up the routine that I started, but not try to do too much and get burned out by the end.

4 comments:

  1. You are way ahead of me! My parents have a landscaping company now the lawn for them. My mom calls them "the boys". I asked her to ask them to cut down all of my garden except my olive tree. It was just too jungly. I was surprised they only charged $15. I'm slowly, slowly reading a book about the christianizatiin of Greece.
    Also I have a white dress in size 10 that Anna only wore once. White shoes in size 2. Will those be too big? If not, I'd be glad to send them to u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be too big. Too bad! But I do have the pattern and the fabric, I just need to do the deed.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely list of "lately." May your summer be a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post so much!

    ReplyDelete