7/25/16

Public domain reads, part two


My first list grew too long too fast. Here are some more public domain books I've enjoyed.

  • The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett. All the melodrama. All the suspense. All the sister power. 
  • The Harvester by Gene Stratton-Porter. About a young man who has made a wild herb garden on his land and sells his harvest to drug companies. I love the setting; I want to live there. He decides to marry and spends many months hunting down his "dream girl," saving her from a terrible living situation, and convincing her to love him. 
  • The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit. Several charming children's tales involving dragons. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. 
  • Brewster's Millions. Monty Brewster has to spend a million dollars in a set amount of time in order to inherit more. 
  • Just David by Eleanor H. Porter. Pollyanna + Anne of Green Gables + Heidi + A Girl of the Limberlost. Except with a boy. I can't call it great literature since it reminded me so much of so many other books, but they were all books I like. A sweet book that made me think about how we view beauty in our lives.
  • The Verse-Book of a Homely Woman. A book of poems about religion and housekeeping. Lovely. 
  • The Song of the Cardinal by Gene Stratton-Porter. A unique book, a love story of two birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment