9/21/15

Piano


I'm constantly doing a hobby switch: one week I sew like crazy, the next I read, the next I experiment in the kitchen.

Lately I've taken up the piano. I learned a bit as a child, but not enough to gain any sort of competence. I regret not learning.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the last ten years. What have I done in this third of my life? What have I learned? What have I accomplished? Sometimes I fear that I do a lot of learning, but lack focus and purpose.

In any case, I have enjoyed taking up a more methodical study of the piano over the last month. In the past, I always thought I should learn church songs because they would be the most useful. But I recently realized that I'm not that interested in playing them. I love classical music. I don't mind church songs at all, but if I want to play music for its own reward, for me, it will be classical music.

I've played violin all my life, and for me the hardest part of piano is the fingerings. I understand the notes and the theory, but my fingerings are atrocious. I always try to use the fingers I would use on the violin, but that really doesn't make sense at all.

I have now made it through Suzuki Piano book 1 with all the right fingerings. It's amazing how tricky a song is at first, but after a week, I can play it all right, and after a few weeks of regular review, it's easy for me.

I'm also using this book of Czerny ├ętudes my mom started me on as a child (I got through maybe three pages back then) and a book of two-octave scales. Surprisingly, the hardest thing for me so far has been to play a two-octave C scale with both hands at once. But after three weeks, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I am happy to have a new focus.

5 comments:

  1. Some people think rapidly changing hobbies like that is a sign that you're pregnant. Are you. Do you think you can play the piano at church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were a sign of pregnancy, I would have had hundreds of kids by now. I'm always changing what I'm doing.

      I'm definitely not good enough to play at church.

      Delete
  2. How fun..
    Enjoy your hobbies, I change back and forth too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you! I have played the piano for 46 years and I had kind of let it go for a good while. Now I have piano listed on my daily to do list and sit down and play something every weekday. It has really helped get out all the cobwebs.

    I am the opposite of you and always wanted to play the violin and it seems a mystery as to how the fingers work together. The piano is easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Have fun with this current passion!

    ReplyDelete