9/7/15

Canning


For years, my mom has been canning her fabulous homemade applesauce and giving it to all of us to devour.

But she's out of the country serving a mission this year. Our applesauce stores were running low! We tried storebought applesauce. Gross. How do they even make it so tasteless and watery?

So I acquired two boxes of apples (and one of peaches for good measure). I saw them sitting on the counter the first day and thought, "That's not much. Probably not enough. I can go get more after I can these."

Ha ha. Three days latter, I am done. I will not be acquiring any more fruit. (Although the garden will probably give us more tomatoes.)

The tally:
  • 33 quarts applesauce
  • 7 quarts peaches
  • 6 quarts tomato purée
  • 6 half-pints peach jelly
  • 7 pints and 4 quarter-pints peach jam
I was pleased to finish on Saturday so I could have the kitchen clear for Sunday. It makes for a much more restful day when things are in order.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome. It's good for the baby. Do you miss your parents? I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... you have accomplished a lot .. The fruits /jams will be wonderful this winter.. Proud you got it all done..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an accomplishment! Those jars are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete