6/10/15

Three weeks in


I haven't talked much about it here, but I've been toying around with the idea of plant-based eating this year after having read The China Study, which claims (and is backed by mountains of research and clinical success) that animal protein is the cause of many of our biggest health problems today (heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer, etc.) and that eating a whole foods, plant-based diet is the solution.

It is hard to say I'm going to give up animal products and processed foods forever, but it's easy to say I'll do it for a week, so I'm doing it for a week at a time. This is take two: I did it for several weeks earlier this year but had to stop due to the food prep being overwhelming with the new baby. It seems easier this time around: the baby is older, I've recovered better, and I've had more practice.

Thoughts from week three of this round of plant-based eating:
  • Saffron costs $17 for one teaspoon? Not going to happen.
  • There is so much amazing food you can make from plants.
  • My shopping list is divided into 15 sections according to the aisles where items are found. I had to divide the produce section into four more sections because I kept losing track of fruits and veggies.
  • I feel really full after a good meal.
  • I feel more alert in the mornings.
  • I will never give up sour cream on my baked potatoes.
  • I kind of miss sugar, but I feel so much better without it.
  • My pants are falling down.

3 comments:

  1. It's so hard to change diets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember what the Lord said in D&C 89, that meat is ordained for the use of men, but it is to be used sparingly, in time of winter, cold or famine (because it is calorie dense). And what he said in D&C 49, that whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God; For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

    I myself, am always suspect of diets that eliminate meat completely (although for short times it can be wise), or that eliminate wheat or dairy, or sweeteners. I believe when the Lord said that the promised land would be flowing with milk and honey he was telling us what good foods would be part of our lives. And he tells us specifically that wheat is for man.

    Congrats on having pants that are falling down!!! That is a fabulous feeling. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about the same thing (eating a completely plant-based diet) quite often, but I never get a truly good feeling about it for me and my household. I think that Heavenly Father expects us to use our minds and our hearts to listen to His wisdom for each of us as individuals and families. Good for you for listening and responding to what He's been saying to you.

    ReplyDelete