6/10/15

Collecting new pots


Since my marriage, I've been using a set of old copper-bottom pots that my parents used to use for camping, plus a couple of cheap ones we got for a wedding present.

A few of them have started rocking as they heat. Obviously a warped pot bottom isn't going to give me maximum conductivity, and I worry about the pots falling off the stove. They sometimes travel several inches! Another pot always scorches when I make a sauce in it, no matter how careful I am.

I want to replace them with something nice, and I finally settled on the Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro line. We use a credit card for convenience (we pay the bill in full every month), and it gives us cash back. I've decided to use the cash back to collect new pots (1.5, 2, 3, and 4 quarts). I'm collecting them one at a time instead of getting a set because all the sets come with frying pans and I don't need any (I love my cast iron).

Last week I got the first one, a 3-quart pot. I made pasta for lunch just to try it out. It is so quiet! I didn't realize how much noise my others make as they heat up. I wonder why that is?

I know I could get a whole new set of cookware for the price of one pot, but I enjoy having high-quality tools to work with and I'm willing to save for them. I don't want to get something that I'm going to have to replace in ten years again.

When we were first married, we got along with whatever we had, and we were grateful for it. Now, as things break and wear out and as we can afford it, I'm enjoying replacing them with higher-quality items. I try to pick items that I will never have to replace again, if possible. This cookware is solid and I can see it lasting fifty years, if I don't do something featherbrained like leaving it empty on a hot burner (which is entirely possible, but I will try not to do).

3 comments:

  1. If you have a Whole Foods Market in your area, check there. They have had good quality pots and pans there in the past. Plus you'd love the bulk bins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! New, quality cookware is such a treat! I wish you joy using yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like new pots! I have in the past turned warped pans over and put a board on them and hammered them back flat. It could get you by for a bit. I have a large stockpot that is still like new that rocks when it heats up. It kind of freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete