2/18/15

Family history


I've been researching my family history the last couple of weeks. It's something I do in spurts—a whole bunch for a month, and then maybe I won't touch it again for a year. I've been blessed this session to find a lot of resources from distant cousins who come from different branches of my family tree, and I've been able to find several faces to put with names.

 

I love being surprised by a photograph in my research.


I've found several entries in Google Books for two family members, one in metalworking journals and the other in Brown University alumni magazines. I never expected to find information there. Thank you Google! I love that so many old records are digitized.


The man above was brother to my great-something grandfather. I've been working on his line, and I believe that his last descendant died in 1981. I'm glad that I have found them and that there is someone to remember them.

4 comments:

  1. Here in my parents' computer room, there are a lot of old family pics. My favorite is of my grandparents with their kids before my mom was born. My grandparents had 9 kids, but there are 5 in this picture. My favorite aunt, Diane, who passed a couple years ago is about three year old in it, and man is she cute! I should put some tomorrow for #TBT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so neat. I am so addicted to family history. I became addicted back in the summer of 2010. It is a great story. I went to the family history center at the stake center up there. Wow. If you like hearing other peoples' family history experiences I'd love to tell you. You wouldn't believe how cool its been.

    My blog is at www.throughthewoods2.blogspot.com On my side bar there is a place to click to email me.
    Good luck with your search...it is so important. :)
    Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the picture I mentioned in the above comment to Facebook. My cousin in Greece commented with a photo of my great-grandparents. (My dad's dad's parents). I was soooo happy. I've never seen what they look like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike you, I never much cared to see their faces, but seeing their faces made me feel strange today. More than seeing their faces, I wished I had journals from them. Even if it was about a recipe or a daily routine. "The Daily Races, Going Nowhere". I watched a documentary about our hunter gatherer ancestors (whose faces we will never see in this life time) and it showed them gathered around a common area like a table having a meal like we still do today, and sharing stories. The good news is that when we pass, we will all be reunited like one big family reunion. We will have all the time in the world to sit around the table and tell stories, especially to retell what journal entries they would have done if they'd did them. My Aunt Diane liked to talk so much, I sometimes think she's probably still getting caught up with people up there. :'(

    ReplyDelete