7/31/14

Three ways to fix a slow kitchen drain


When my bathroom drain gets smelly or slow, I usually give it a good scrubbing and it's good to go again. But when my kitchen drain has issues, scrubbing it out isn't an option because of the garbage disposal. So here are three things I do if my kitchen drain is misbehaving.

  1. Send a tray or two of ice cubes down the disposal. This should loosen up any crud that's sticking around.
  2. Send some baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Put a funnel down the drain and send down 1/2 cup baking soda followed by 1 cup vinegar. Immediately stopper the drain (both sides, if you have a double-sided sink) and leave five minutes.
  3. Pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain. 

My drain was slow last week. I did these three things (in this order), and it's been working perfectly ever since.

What do you do when your drains are slow?


2 comments:

  1. We had a bad bathroom sink drain and had to replace all the parts under the sink. When we did my husband found a clear u-bend fitting! Sounds gross, but I like being able to see if it's clogged up and needs to be scrubbed out. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called the landlord, and she found a candle holder in the disposal.

    ReplyDelete