6/25/14

Recently tried recipes


Hash brown waffles. These worked great! I added 1/4 tsp. onion powder instead of the garlic, and next time I would cut the oil to 1 tbsp., as I had no problem with sticking and my hash browns turned out a little greasy. I ended up with six squares of hash browns (1.5 batches). I'm adding this recipe to my collection. Can't wait to make it again!

Egg puffs. We all loved these, but Red Chief is the one who ate them for breakfast, after-school snack, and dinner all in one day. I'll definitely make these again. We used leftover Easter ham from the freezer instead of the bacon. I got 9 puffs from a half batch.

Overnight steel cut oats. This made a beautiful porridge, and I'm looking forward to doing it again. I love breakfast recipes that I can start the night before, because then I have to make breakfast in the morning. I appreciated the note about alkalinity turning the oats funny colors. I stirred in about two tablespoons of buttermilk after it had mostly cooled, and I had perfect, normal-colored oats in the morning.

Spring rolls. This was a fun if somewhat involved project perfect for using up some lettuce and cilantro from our garden. I left out the pork and pickled carrots, mostly due to laziness. Next time I will leave the sugar out of the sauce, as the other ingredients were already sweet enough. I probably won't be making these often as they're rather labor-intensive, but we had fun with them, and I was proud of the kids for trying (and eating!) them.

1 comment:

  1. I like the hashbrown waffles. I love hashbrowns, but always have trouble making them in a frying pan. The waffle iron is brilliant- it would cook it evenly. Off to buy some potatoes to try this at home. :)

    ReplyDelete