5/21/14

Real snacks

 

I've been trying to get healthier snacks for my family lately. Because we've cut back on how much we snack, we are able to better afford the slightly more expensive real food.

It's been fun teaching my children how much is a good portion: a handful of nuts, a few crackers, a few pieces of dried fruit.

This week, we have:
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Cashews
  • Dried apricots
  • Greek yogurt tubes (in the freezer, to eat instead of popsicles)
  • Whole grain crackers
  • Popcorn
  • Hummus
No one has complained so far: in fact, the kids are thrilled that there's something in the cupboard besides the ever-present graham crackers and saltines. And we do still keep some less-than-ideal foods around.

We've also tried to remember we can eat fruits and veggies for snacks, and I've been keeping pre-chopped ingredients for salad in the fridge.

Sometimes I enjoy making our own snacks, but lately I just don't have the energy for it. And that's okay! 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm coming to snack time at your house! :) Or maybe I'll just follow your good example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping things per chopped is the way to go - I've been doing that lately too :-)

    ReplyDelete