5/12/14

Living food storage: Buttermilk

 

Have you ever thought what it would be like to eat just out of your pantry, for a long time? Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have some live foods: fresh vegetables or greens, cultured foods, anything!

I know you can sprout beans and grow wheatgrass and make yogurt, all which I want to practice more, but today I want to talk about buttermilk, which I've been making like crazy lately.

Did you know that once you have a starter, you can make buttermilk from powdered milk with no problems? (More about making buttermilk here.)

Just add your starter (storebought buttermilk, or leftover from your last batch) to a quart jar (1/2–1 cup is about right), and fill the rest with powdered milk. You can even shake it up right in the jar: I add the starter, then the milk powder, then cold tap water, then shake it. Leave it on the counter until it thickens up (more details here). It works great, and you'd never know the finished product was made from powdered milk.

You can use it in any baked goods that call for buttermilk, milk, or yogurt. You can let your buttermilk culture extra-long to get a thicker texture more similar to yogurt (although it's definitely different! more like glue), and you can use that in dressings instead of sour cream.  or mayo. You can add some to a smoothie if you're out of yogurt (I usually add a little buttermilk and a lot of milk so it doesn't taste too sour). And how about these pancakes?* They're very easy on the stomach first thing in the morning.

Do you use buttermilk often? Have you tried making your own? How did it go?


*This recipe has been changed since I printed it out. I soak the flour overnight (at room temperature) in the buttermilk, which seems to make a difference in its digestibility the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I have not ever made buttermilk.. however, My mama always made our buttermilk.. I don't think I even knew that you could buy buttermilk ,until I got big.ha
    I am not sure why, I never made it.. I must try.. I use buttermilk a good bit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete