5/9/14

Inspiring


I've had a rough few weeks: I just found out that my thyroid has been low, which explains why I can nap for two hours in the afternoon, sleep for nine at night, and still feel tired all the time. Needless to say, I haven't been able to get much done, and I have been feeling discouraged.

It will take my body two or three weeks to catch up with the new dosage medication, but I'm feeling better already just knowing that there will be an end to this, and that I will feel more energetic soon.

I'm behind on nearly everything, but something I read this morning gave me some motivation to get up and go again. The article made me ponder what I can do today to help my family feel that I care about them.

I came up with a list of things I can do to bless my family today: both routine things I've been keeping up with and would like to continue, and things that I've been neglecting a bit. I would like to finish everything today, but I know I probably won't. I'll be listening to my body and stopping for breaks when I need to, and I'll try not to overdo it to avoid crashing in the afternoon.

Thinking from this perspective (How can I bless my family? instead of What do I have to do today?) changed the way I look at my tasks. It helps me be less perfectionistic in my work and helps me prioritize and balance. I hope I can always remember to write my to-do lists—and do my work—in this mindset.

Today I hope to:

  • Treat stains, wash, and fold clothes
  • Quickly clean the bathrooms, refill soaps, change towels
  • Keep up with the dishes and keep the kitchen clean
  • Mop kitchen if there's time (we have ants!)
  • Make bread
  • Cut some flowers or put out something pretty
  • Read some books to Tiger Lily

If I can do these things, my family will have clean clothes, clean bathrooms, a clean kitchen (which leads to a good dinner, not to mention fewer ants), fresh bread, something nice to look at, and time with mommy. And if I can't get it all done, my family will still be blessed by what I have done.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry your not feeling well. Sending prayers for you..that the meds will get your thyroid under control and you will be feeling like your old self again soon.
    Love your goals to do these things to bless your family. How wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my heartfelt sympathy. What a lovely list, and what a lovely perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the perspective. It's been a hard week and I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I have been there with the thyroid thing. Not fun. Then one time it went high and I was working like a mad woman like 20 hours a day. It was crazy. I hope you feel much better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon.
    What was inspiring to me this week was some history from Australia. The British shipped all of the undesirables there, thinking they would not make it. Well, you see what Australia is today. They made it. Hang in there and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping you get your energy back quickly! I just had my first experience with low thyroid in my first trimester of pregnancy and I have never hit such a low when it comes to maintaining my home. Not happy to have to take medication for hypothyroidism at age 29, but I can't live without it!

    ReplyDelete