5/1/14

50 recipes to make when it's hot


Please tell me I'm not the only one who loses all desire to cook in the summer! I hate turning the oven on when it's so hot outside, and baking becomes a chore instead of a joy.

I like to collect recipes that are especially nice to make in the summer, recipes that require little or no cooking, or can be made in a slow cooker or microwave. They also need to be light and refreshing. Bonus points if they use plenty of garden vegetables.

Here are some of my favorite recipes to make in the summer. If you have suggestions, I hope you will leave them in the comments. The weather is warming up fast here!


Salads
Honey mustard chicken chopped salad
Mediterranean couscous and lentils
Tomato-mozzarella salad with French bread
Chef salad
Lemon-scented quinoa salad
Chinese chicken salad
Southwest layered salad
Cobb salad
Chicken Caesar pasta salad

Pasta
Bacon-avocado-tomato pasta salad
One pot chicken lo mein
One pan chicken alfredo
One pot tomato basil pasta
Sesame noodles

Sandwiches
Cobb salad sandwich
Turkey and provolone sandwich
Egg salad sandwich
Storebought veggie burgers (you can heat them in the microwave)
Black bean burgers
Lentil sloppy joes
Salmon sandwich

Sides
Simple spinach
Waffle iron hash browns
Microwave-steamed veggies
Garlic teriyaki edammame

Slow cooker
Slow cooker chili
No-knead bread in a slow cooker
Slow cooker chicken ranch tacos
Baked potatoes
Lentil taco salad
Chicken curry

Other
Meatless seven-layer dip
Korean beef
Chicken and summer squash over rice
Skillet barbecue chicken
Tuna cakes
Ramen noodle upgrade
Black beans and rice
Meatless nachos
Falafel
Tomato-red pepper soup
Sushi bowl
Beef and broccoli
Tomato fried rice
Green bean and chicken stir fry
Waffle tacos

Snacks
No-bake energy bites
Hummus
Juice gelatin
Raw cookie dough bites

4 comments:

  1. You're my new hero for posting this list. I hate cooking in the summer! I'll be checking back here often!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to experiment with the blender, fruit, and popsicle molds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind cooking in the summer but we do change up for lighter foods. Hubby is not a fan of salad meals so that is out for us. Our SIL figured out that the frozen hash brown patties heat up and taste great run through the regular toaster. Set it on it's highest setting and toast twice. Be careful taking them out because they are really hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an excellent, useful list!! I agree with you and I avoid kitchen heat whenever possible in the summer. I even put my crockpot outside :) I'm going to pin this to my special summer cooking pinterest board. And I do have a blog category for summer cooking that is all this kind of cooking as well.

    ReplyDelete