4/16/14

Spring garden


The garden is for all of us, but is especially beloved by Red Chief. Here he is looking at the carrots.


All the types of seeds I planted came up, even the ones that were eight years old. Radishes, kale, swiss chard, kohlrabi, broccoli, lettuce, beets, cilantro, parsley. I planted the seeds early, but I heard that they would wait to sprout until it was time, and they did.


The peas are doing especially well.


The rhubarb and yarrow we planted last year are happy despite not having been watered yet this spring. It looks like I'm going to have to move one of them!


The mint is coming back too.

I'm so glad we built the garden boxes last year, and I'm grateful to have a garden that's so easy to take care of. I love walking around the boxes to see what has come up, and pulling out a weed here or thinning a row there.

4 comments:

  1. What a treat and a treasure. We left our beloved garden boxes at our old house, and now we need time to get to know the sun/shade, wind/rain, and runoff patterns of our new house and yard before we build anything. It is hard to not be gardening. But we're studying this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your garden boxes.. Looks like you will be having some good crops .. What do you make with the rhubarb ? We planted some this year, but I have never cooked them..Just heard of rhubarb pie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year growing it, but my mom used to stew it with sugar. Also she'd make strawberry-rhubarb pie or crisp, and strawberry-rhubarb jam.

      Oh, and you probably already know this, but the leaves are poisonous. Just eat the stems!

      Delete
  3. We keep having cold fronts. I still have yet to plant anything.

    ReplyDelete