I knew I had some mending to do on Friday, because Red Chief somehow developed holes in the knees of both pairs of his church pants last week, and he needed to have something to wear for Sunday.
But I didn't stop at the pants. I didn't even start there. First I sewed three buttons on.
Then I patched Red Chief's tan church pants. Then I looked for something to patch his black pants, but I don't have anything that matches.
(Aside: is it tacky to send your kids to church in neatly patched or mended clothes? Should I perhaps buy new pants and relegate the old patched ones to everyday?)
Next I sewed up some holes in a pair of pajama pants.
Then I picked up another pair of Red Chief's pants (grey) that need patches. The only match I could find is a long-sleeved shirt of my husband's that has holes in the elbows that I've been meaning to cut off into a short-sleeved shirt. So I cut off the sleeves and verified that there's enough fabric to patch the pants. I did not patch the pants; I'll do that another day.
To finish up, I hemmed the sleeves of my husband's shirt. I had barely enough thread of the right color, and had to use a lesser match on the underside.
And then I stopped mending things, because it was time to make dinner!
I've found that I have a lot more mending lately, since I've resolved to let less clothing go to waste if it can be fixed with a simple repair. I don't really mind; it's rewarding to see my kids running around in something that I would have otherwise had to throw away and buy new. And if I ever in the future don't have time for mending, well, I can always return to my old ways. For now, though, I'm learning good skills: this was the fifth pair of patches I've installed in the last few months, and I'm getting better and faster at it.