2/21/14

Painting the house

We're going to have our house painted this summer. I hate, hate, hate choosing colors. Decorating is not my thing, and making decisions about things that don't really matter is hard for me.

Here's what it looks like right now. I've never been a fan of these colors. In fact, I'm afraid I may have mentioned the word "ugly" when we first looked at the house.

Current colors.

Here are some alternative looks I came up with by following this Photoshop tutorial. What do you think? What color would you paint your house? Any other colors I should try? I would really appreciate your input. We have an estimator coming tomorrow!


Acceptable, but not exciting.

My favorite so far; not what I expected I would like! Sherwin-Williams says, "A large home on a small lot painted white or a light color - for instance, a tinted neutral - can make the house seem larger and the lot seem smaller. Dark colors can make a home look smaller but more substantial." I like that; our front yard is small and our house is fairly close to the neighboring ones.

Trying the opposite of the blue and brown above. I think I like the other better, but I'm not sure about the other angles. There is only contrast on the front; the rest of the house will be the main color (brown here) and trim (white). I'm not sure how I feel about having that much blue. Red Chief will be happy, though!


One of my original ideas. I'm glad to see it on the house; I don't like it with the stone trim. Also another house nearby was just painted like this, so I guess it would be better not to copy.

Another of my original ideas. Again, I don't think it will work with the stone trim or with the windows—there is white trim inside the windows so I think the trim will have to stay white. Also expensive: I'm sure it would take two coats to cover what's already there.


Dark blue and blue-grey. I'll give this one a maybe.

Hmm, still not sure how I feel about this one.

There are a few red houses around our neighborhood and it seems to be an easy shade to get wrong, so I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it in real life.


6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful house you have.. I love the shape of it... [My house is mostly brick with trim, so not a lot of paint color shows up.] But with your house, it will really show the pretty colors.. I like a lot of your colors..But I really like the gray and blue gray... at the bottom. I think if you used a really light gray with the dark gray , and if possible add white trimming..That might be a pretty color?// Just an idea.. Best wishes, I can't wait to see what you choose.. I love painting.. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the all white one..not sure why, but when i saw it, i was like thats the one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could choose I'd do blue on the bottom and something much lighter like white up top. 'Course, I just love blue!
    That's fun to be able to play around with it in photoshop. Your house is lovely. Where I live I haven't seen a single pretty house. Ugly desert town where people have no imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know which one I'd choose but for some reason I think I would like the garage door different then the area surrounding it. For example on the dark blue, blue grey option I would choose one of the two to be the door and the other to be the area surrounding it. But that's just me. Tough choice and super cute house no matter the colors. It has character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red houses cropping in our area and our house would look great in read but I am like you....it would be so easy to make a mess of.

    I like your current house colors. It is okay though that you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorites are the first one ("Acceptable, but not exciting"), the all white one, and the dark blue/blue-grey combo.

    ReplyDelete