2/28/14

A new kitchen challenge


I'm getting ready for a new kitchen adventure. Newspaper is necessary.


And disposable gloves.


Meet my newest project! (No, I did not name it.) As I was walking home the other day our neighbor asked if I would like a fish he caught. I didn't expect it to be so big! (That's my big chef knife and my biggest cutting board in the picture for reference.) It's a steelhead trout, which is a lot like salmon.

I'm always up for a kitchen challenge, so I took the fish home and asked the internet what to do with it.

Conclusions: my knife is not as sharp as I thought (and I sharpened it before I started!). I can see why people buy special knives for filleting fish.


I did eventually conquer and got most of the flesh off the fish. I took the skin off too, because I read that it was nasty and slimy. I'm sure I mangled the poor fish more than it needed to have been, but I'm pretty proud of myself for a first try.


Here's the part I know more about: spicing it up (lemon, dill, salt, pepper, and butter). I made a special run to the grocery store for lemons, because fresh fish deserves fresh lemons.

I've been married for over nine years now. If I cooked every day (which I haven't, but almost), that would be over 3,000 dinners. That's a lot of cooking! I love that there are still new things for me to do in the kitchen, and I feel confident that there will be many more kitchen firsts for me throughout the years, whether I seek them out or whether they're handed to me, like this one.

7 comments:

  1. I have never cleaned a fish. Kudos to you for your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it was already gutted when I got it, so I just had to figure out how to separate the skin and bones. I'm not sure if I'd have the stomach to deal with the innards.

      Delete
  2. Wow...totally impressed.. Looks good--how did it taste? So fun to learn new things.
    I had to laugh, when I got to the end of the post..and seen we were talking about fish...
    I was thinking---- she is going to tile the countertop... she is going to redo cabinets..You
    had me going.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted fabulous! I ate an embarrassing amount. :)

      Delete
  3. My sister-in-law stayed with us for a few months, and her boyfriend always brought over fresh fish. The freezer smelled, but it was a nice thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I guess I'm lucky. This one didn't smell a bit. It was just caught the day before though.

      Delete
  4. I remember making a lot of Greek Fish Soup with it and freezing that. It was a lot better and an easier convenience meal. Greek Fish soup involved boullion, lemon, rice and maybe an egg. Don't remember the exact recipe. Didn't smell after that.

    ReplyDelete