10/8/13

Recently tried recipes


Zucchini brownies. We liked these. I used summer squash instead of zucchini, and whole wheat flour. It said not to add any liquid, but I couldn't get all of the flour to moisten so I added about 2 tablespoons of water. Perhaps that's why mine turned out more like a cake?

Crusty whole wheat artisan bread. This turned out pretty well, although not as nice as the pictures in the post, despite the fact that I let the first rise go about three hours too long (whoops, it was a busy day!). I'll try it again some time under better conditions.

One pot tomato basil pasta. The family loved this, probably due to the addition of the large amount of mozzarella cheese I melted over the finished product. I also added one 8-ounce can of tomato sauce and two bell peppers, which I will definitely do repeat next time. The kids begged me to make it again.

Melon syrup. This seemed the perfect use for the not-quite-ripe volunteer honeydew melon from our garden. It turned out a beautiful honey color, and I'm looking forward to having some with breakfast. It had a subtle vegetal taste, probably due to the melon being cooked, but I counteracted it with a splash of vanilla.

Apple turnovers. I adapted the recipe from How to Cook Everything; the linked recipe is similar to how I did it. We all loved them!

1 comment:

  1. Recipes sound good. I make squash bread and muffins.. We really like it. Never
    tried brownies.
    Your apple turnovers look WONDERFUL.
    Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete