10/24/13

Conclusions from yesterday's thoughts on media consumption


Yesterday, I did end up listing all the media I consume. I thought about it and prioritized it. I'll spare you the details, but here are my conclusions:

  • I want to spend less time on the computer and more time reading actual books.
  • I want to spend less time consuming and more time creating.
  • I need to pay attention to activities that sap my mental energy and creativity and keep them to a minimum or eliminate them.
  • I can come up with my own solutions—I don’t have to look everything up!

I have evaluated whether each facet of the media that occupies my time is helping me, hurting me, or is just too much. I have pared down my blog-reading list. I'm going to turn off the radio in the car more often. I am bumping up other priorities, such as journaling, reading scriptures, thinking, and doing anything creative.

I am going to limit my time on the computer. I hope that my blog-friends will understand if I comment a little less, and that my Facebook friends will understand if I don't click "Like" quite as often.

One of my biggest problems on the computer is that I like to participate. It seems unfair and maybe even a little cowardly to lurk and never contribute. I will have to think about this a little more.

2 comments:

  1. I've pared down the blogs I read to ones I think I'll actually comment on at least occasionally. I don't like to just lurk and never let the writer know I'm there. Weird, huh?

    I like your thoughts on this. There is such an information overload and it's hard to step back and realize you just can't consume it all and you have to pick and choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, find I get caught up with all the internet reading, and it takes so much of my time.. Trying to improve with that..

    ReplyDelete