8/27/13

Summer sewing


I didn't plan on doing any sewing this summer, but somehow I did anyway. I sewed two blankets and two burp cloths for a new nephew. I had the genius idea of using plaid flannel shirting (I thought it would be so cute for a little boy), but it ended up being stretchy and shifty and impossible to make the plaid straight and have a square blanket. I hate giving things away that aren't nice, but if I held out for perfect, I would never get to give away anything I sew, so I swallowed my pride and gave it away anyway. I don't know why, but I really love the thought of babies having something handmade, and I guess it's more important to give a gift with love than to have it be perfect.

Next up came the quilt tops, which I talked about yesterday. They definitely weren't in my original plans for the summer, but I'm so glad I had the opportunity to sew them.

This Saturday found me frantically stitching up a couple of burp cloths (see above) before a baby shower for a friend. I love these burp cloths: you take a flat cloth diaper and stitch it to some flannel. Then turn it right-side out, topstitch, and stitch along the two center lines of the diaper. It's fast and easy, and I personally think that cloth diapers make the best burp cloths ever because their powers of absorption are much higher than flannel or terry cloth or knit or anything else. You could just use the diapers plain (I did with Tiger Lily), but the flannel backing makes it a nicer gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment