8/21/13

Freezing vegetables


A couple of weeks ago, we went out of town for the weekend, but the day before we did, a friend gave us a bunch of garden produce: several zucchini and a grocery bag full of green beans. That meant I had a tight deadline for getting it all in the freezer.

Mr. Mordecai and I snapped all the green beans in the evening while watching Star Trek. I washed them and let them dry overnight. In the morning, I packed them into freezer bags without blanching. It was almost too easy.


The zucchini posed more of a problem. I wanted to grate some for the freezer, but I wasn't sure my arthritic hands would agree to that. I told Red Chief he could earn money by grating the zucchini, and he was very excited about that.


He grated them all except the big yellow one, which I chopped, blanched, and froze.


The kitchen was a zucchini disaster zone by the time he was done. He started cleaning up the counter, but he somehow managed to knock down the bowl and strainer with the zucchini draining in it. All the liquid spilled on the floor, but luckily the zucchini stayed in. I'm not sure how he managed that.

At that point, I had him leave the kitchen and just finished the clean-up myself. It took awhile, as I had to completely mop the floor. I'm still scraping zucchini gratings off my kitchen cupboards and walls, but I'm so glad that Red Chief was so willing to step up and help.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! Isn't that always the way it is with kids' help? It's hard to to just smile and thank them and not growl as we go clean up the messes. Hopefully he came away from it feeling good about his help.

    Sorry about the arthritic hands. My hands, wrists and ankles are pretty weak and pathetic, so I get what it's like to some extent. I think chemotherapy messed me up.

    ReplyDelete