8/20/13

Another kitchen first: Steamed pudding


About a year ago, I picked up a pudding mold from a thrift store, and I finally put it to use this weekend. I don't know why I got the idea to make a steamed pudding in August: probably because I found a bag of cranberries lurking in the back of the freezer.

In any case, it was fun to steam a pudding, and now I'll know better what people in Victorian English books are eating for Christmas dinner. Except I think their puddings usually had suet. Luckily I found a nice modern recipe that uses just a bit of butter.

Here's the recipe I used. I didn't have a rack for the bottom of my pot, so I made a ring from foil to keep the mold off the bottom. When it was done, I pulled the pudding away from the sides of the pan and turned it upside-down to unmold it. I was surprised that it came out so easily. The pudding reminds me of a very moist cake. The sauce is divine; don't skip it.

Have you had steamed pudding before? What do you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. My grandma always made carrot pudding at Christams time. It was SO good. And you're right, the sauce is awesome with it.

    ReplyDelete