7/8/13

The (almost) complete works of Daryl Hoole


Several years ago, I picked up a copy of The Joys of Homemaking by Daryl Hoole at a used bookstore. I enjoy reading books about homemaking, and this one was no exception. Later, I obtained The Ultimate Career through interlibrary loan and enjoyed it too.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I need to own more of Daryl Hoole's books. It was a simple matter to look them up on Amazon (with a little help from Goodreads), and it took only a few minutes to order all of her books that I was interested in.

I will be making my way through them slowly, a chapter at a time, a little nibble here and there. It's too overwhelming to read in gulps if I actually want to change the way I do things. I'll be reading them carefully, so that I can take their ideas and suggestions constructively and not let myself feel inadequate and insufficient.

Did you know that this amazing lady has a website? It has articles, recipes, and more, and I enjoy checking in there when I need homemaking inspiration. I have printed out this article and I'm reading a section or so per day alongside my scripture study.

I'm currently working my way through The Art of Homemaking. One thing that strikes me particularly is how times have changed. "Back then" (as Red Chief would say), women were expected to keep the home clean and tidy. Nowadays, it seems that it's more common for women to brag about how little they do in the home, and untidy homes have become socially acceptable. I'm not sure how I feel about this: I appreciate that I'm not judged (I hope!) for my often untidy home, but I do feel that it's sad that it has become socially acceptable to live in a mess. I also wonder whether, if I were a homemaker sixty years ago and I felt incredible social pressure to have things just so, I might rebel.

Hmm, that was a bit of a tangent. In any case, my plan for the books is to glean good habits and ideas and mindsets that will help me become a better homemaker.

I sometimes wish I could hear more from the women of my church about homemaking, but it seems to be a touchy subject the last few decades. I'm grateful that Daryl Hoole has written so extensively on the subject.

Do you read about homemaking? Can you recommend any books, articles, or authors?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, those sound interesting! I like the Tightwad Gazette. It's not technically about homemaking, but there are lots of good homemaking tips in there. It's by Amy Dacyzyn. (I think that's how you spell it.)

    I'm kinda torn about the messy/clean house thing myself. I think we should make families, service, etc. a top priority over a sparkling kitchen. BUT, we're supposed to have our home be essentially a sacred place and keep it nice for our family. And I'm fairly OCD, so that doesn't help. I'm always torn about what I should spend my time on- cleaning, kids, school, etc. Ugh.

    I love ideas that make life more simple and efficient so I can make the best use of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd read one if you wrote it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read homemaking books/articles. They encourage me to keep things more organized, and my priorities straight.

    I too, have mixed emotions about the housecleaning of yesterday versus today. I think it is ok for our houses to get messed up..But, I also think we need to teach our young adults/children the values of family and homemaking. That seems to be lacking in our society today.. Our schools have even removed home ec from school. So sad.

    I am going to check out these books. Just know, I would enjoy reading them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to homemaking centered sites, especially if they are Christian. Those books sound interesting, I'll definitely check out her site. It's nice how more women are considering keeping the home. I've learned that it is harder than it sounds.

    Check out my blog at:
    dreamingofperfect.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about homemaking/housekeeping, I'm going to have to look this author up on Amazon now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me laugh when you questioned whether you might be a rebel homemaker back in the day! I hadn't heard of Daryl Hoole so I'm excited to learn of a new author that sounds like someone who might capture my interest! Thanks so much for linking up with me last week at Walking Redeemed...I hope you'll come back and do it again!

    ReplyDelete