7/2/13

April-May-June book report


I kind of forgot about posting reading updates here. I'll try to get all caught up—although I haven't been doing a ton of reading lately; life has been too busy!
  • Read the Ensign cover to cover each month.
    • January: yes 
    • February: yes
    • March: about half 
    • April-May-June: no
  • Read the Friend to my children each month.
    • January: yes (but not all of it) 
    • February: no (I accidentally let our subscription lapse!) 
    • March: no again, but I renewed the subscription 
    • April-May-June: no
  • Read the Book of Mormon in French.
    • Still working on it
  • Read two classics I haven't read before. 
    • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
    • Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert 
    • Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
  • Re-read three classics I've read before.
  • Read some of the unread books in my personal library.
    • What Katy Did, What Katy Did at School, and What Katy Did Next by Susan Coolidge
    • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
    • Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
  • Read some of the books that have been on my to-read list for a long time.
    • What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge
    • Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield
    • Life with Father by Clarence Day
    • Precious Bane by Mary Webb
    • Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell  
    • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains by Laurel Snyder
    • The Children Who Lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham
    • Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
    • Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
    • The Lacemaker and the Princess by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
  • Read something by D.E. Stevenson.
    • Rochester's Wife
    • Katherine Wentworth 
    • Katherine's Marriage
    • The Four Graces
  • Read something by Carol Ryrie Brink.
    • Anything Can Happen on the River
    • Baby Island
  • Read something by Enid Blyton.
  • Read something about food storage.
    • Country Beans by Rita Bingham
    • Natural Meals in Minutes by Rita Bingham
  • Read something about family history.
  • Read something about science.
  • Read a book about fairy tales.
  • Read new books that come out this year that interest me. (I will cross these off as I read them.)
    • The Good Life for Less by Amy Allen Clark (January 2)
    • The Water Castle by Megan Frazer Blakemore (January 8)
    • My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (January 15)
    • Asunder by Jodi Meadows (January 29)
    • Eliza, The Life and Faith of Eliza R. Snow by Karen Lynn Davidson (February)
    • Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson (February 12)
    • Sever by Lauren DeStefano (February 12)
    • Covenant Motherhood by Stephanie Dibb Sorenson (March)
    • L. Tom Perry, An Uncommon Life by L. Tom Perry (March 1)
    • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time by Frank Cottrell Boyce (March 12)
    • Garden Princess by Kristen Kladstrup (March 12)
    • Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt (March 26)
    • Story's End by Marissa Burt (April 2)
    • Beyond the Glass Slipper: Ten Neglected Fairy Tales to Fall in Love With by Kate Wolford (April 16)
    • Cooked by Michael Pollan (April 23)
    • Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield (May 7) 
    • Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George (May 7)
    • Heir of Wildwood by Colin Meloy (August 1)
    • Deliberate Motherhood by The Power of Moms (August 1)
    • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters by Diane Zahler (August 27)
    • The Illuminated Adventures of Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo (September 26)
    • Shadows by Robin McKinley (September 26)
    • Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund (October 15)

    Number of books read so far this year: 63

2 comments:

  1. You will love reading "Madame Bovary." I avoided it for years because the subject matter didn't interest me, but I was surprised by what a good story it was, and so very well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it! It was a bit depressing, and I wanted to slap her several times, but I'm glad I've read it.

      Delete