6/11/13

Re-prioritizing

 

I've decided to spend more time with my kids this summer—because after all, I'm a stay-at-home mom primarily so I can take care of them, and only secondarily so I can take care of the housework.

In any case, let me tell you this: I'm busy! It is so much harder to get kids to do work than to just do it yourself. And while I'm trying to get the kids to do their work, mine falls by the wayside.

It isn't all child labor around here, though: we're having good times too. Every day we do some schoolwork together, and the kids and I love that. We're also doing violin, and we have reading time for half an hour every day after lunch.

Today we went to the park right after breakfast, before it got hot and crowded. It was perfect! We've missed outdoor time since we've been sick, but now that we're mostly better, I'll be trying for something every day, whether it's a walk, a visit to the park, or a bigger outing.

Another thing to juggle that hasn't been an issue in the past is friends. Some neighborhood kids have discovered my kids, and they'll come over at any time (but rarely at a time that's convenient for me).

Probably the most exhausting thing in the past couple of weeks has been my kids fighting. They're so unpredictable: one day they'll be best friends, and the next they can't stand the sight of each other.

So right now I'm behind on housework, I haven't had much time for myself, and I feel like I can't keep up with anything. But I've been spending more time with my children, and that makes us all happy.

2 comments:

  1. We have the opposite friends problem- there aren't any around! I want my kids to learn to play with all kinds of kids, but I have to get on the phone and set up actual playdates with kids in our ward or something. It's a lot of work!
    It really is hard to balance time with the kids and housework and schoolwork, etc. With a baby and 3 other kids I'm feeling so swamped these days. It sounds like you are getting into a pretty good schedule that allows for some of everything. Hopefully your kids will remember all those fun times together. It is really hard for us moms to find time for ourselves. I'm the worst at that one. I never seem to have more than a 5-10 minutes here and there. So I read blogs! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught Annalise how to load and start the dishwasher last night. Oh my, she took it so super seriously. She missed some detergent in the detergent cup and had to try and put every speck back into the cup. I told her it didn't matter. Then, after we locked it up and turned it on, she asked, "so how do I clean them?"

    ReplyDelete