I know that most of us think about keeping food storage in case of a natural disaster or huge emergency, but there are other reasons it might be used. I heard a mom speak once who was on bed rest with her fifth child, and her eight-year-old daughter made many of their meals from food storage. I have heard from others who have lived off their food storage during prolonged unemployment. I find that it even comes in handy when you just can't make it to the store for a few days, such as during an illness or after a vacation.

Here is how I want my food storage plan to be, eventually:

  • Meals will be planned out and written down so that anyone (not just me) will be able to make them. 
  • All ingredients will be non-perishable and kept on hand, with optional additional ingredients to supplement.
  • Most meals will be simple and not take 36 hours to make (like from-scratch dry bean soups and long-rising breads).
  • Most meals will rely on real foods, not convenience foods.
  • Costs will be kept down as much as possible.
  • Each day's food will be nutritionally well-balanced.
  • We will enjoy eating most of the meals, and they won't seem completely outlandish to an outsider.
  • There will be an alternative meal plan in case of power outage that will cover a few weeks.

I'm not asking much, am I? Ha. I'm working on getting a variety of dinner recipes (I want at least a month's worth, because I like variety), and school lunches are stumping me, but I've finally got a breakfast plan!

One thing that worried me about the breakfast plan was getting some protein in, because we normally eat eggs almost every morning, and I don't want to store (or eat!) powdered eggs. I did eventually find an answer: supplementing our pancakes and waffles with a little white bean flour. It makes the texture a little moister, but I'm the only one who really notices a difference.

I have typed up a document with the list of meals; a list of things to do in advance (such as make granola); a list of supplementary ingredients that we don't keep in our storage but would be nice to have (such as eggs and milk); and the recipes.

Here's what we're having:
Cream of wheat or cornmeal mush (every other week)
Waffles
Oatmeal
Peanut butter granola
Pancakes
Oatmeal
Granola

Want to see the rest? I've uploaded it here.

Now I really need to get to work on the lunches and dinners. What food storage–friendly ideas do you have for meals away from home (like lunch at school)? Sandwiches are obvious, but I'm looking for fillings other than tuna and peanut butter. Also, what do I do for a fruit or veggie?


4 Comments

  1. Do you have sprouting trays as well? This is a good emergency way to have fresh greens. You can store large bags of seeds, and we sprout on the kitchen counter all the time. I even threw some of the seeds in the garden and around the apartment complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea and definitely something I want to get into eventually!

      Delete
  2. We love sprouting as well. *B* makes a wrap with a homemade tortilla, hummus made from pantry items (found at http://www.simplifiedpantry.com/2012/07/homemade-hummus-without-tahini/) and mung bean sprouts. It's delicious and filling.

    We sometimes make a Chipotle-esque burrito bowl with black beans, rice, canned corn, lime juice, cilantro and seasonings.

    Another option for breakfast would be hoe cakes. It's a lot like cornmeal much (boiling water into lightly salted cornmeal), but you fried it in some fat like a pancake. Topped with honey, it's brilliant, but it also works well as a pseudo-cornbread.

    We stock things like canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, and veggies for our fruits and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great ideas! I like the idea of the hummus wrap.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.