5/10/13

Making soap


I got lye for my birthday. (I just might have the best husband ever.)

I've been wanting to make soap for months. I've read up on it, and I still wanted to try it, even after reading all the warnings about lye. Today I gave it a try while Tiger Lily was over at a friend's house.

I used this excellent tutorial. I like it because it uses oils that are readily available and not too expensive. It's a great way to rotate through the shortening in our food storage, since I hardly ever bake with it anymore. I bought a few doubles of kitchen things from a thrift store so I wouldn't have to put lye in my everyday things. I will keep these in a box for the next time I make soap.

I won't know how the soap turns out for awhile—it's got to cure for at least a month—but I consider my experiment successful so far: I didn't get any lye on myself today.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make soap for a long time. I've even had the lye! I just found it again the other week. For whatever reason, it kind of scares me. I'm hoping that I can just suck it up and make it this weekend. Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared of the lye too, but if you read up on it and follow safety precautions (rubber gloves, long sleeves, add lye to water and not water to lye, goggles, and ventilation (I did it outside)), then there's nothing to worry about. My soap-making experience was very tame, and that's good. No lye volcanoes here.

      Delete
  2. I sucked it up, put my big girl gloves on, and made soap today. I can't wait to un-mold them tomorrow! It wasn't until I was half way through that I remembered that I made soap in chemistry class when I was 16. I had the skills all along :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that sounds like a great present! Sheesh, why didn't I get to know you better back in the day? We could have been geeky together. ( ; I'd love to make soap, but right now the very thought is too overwhelming. So much else going on! Someday...
    I hope yours turns out perfect.

    ReplyDelete