4/15/13

Six meatless slow cooker recipes


Is it just me, or are meatless/vegetarian slow cooker recipes next to impossible to find? I've been working on this list for months, specifically seeking out crock-pot recipes that don't call for meat, and altering some of my favorites to work in the slow cooker.

I'm still looking for new recipes and trying others, but for now, here's what I've tested and liked.

You're welcome.

  1. Split pea soup. Replacing the ham with lemon brightens up this split pea soup.
  2. Baked potatoes. Serve with your choice of sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, cheese sauce, and/or meatless chili (which you can also make in a slow cooker).
  3. White bean soup. The slow cooker is the perfect option for dry beans, which need long cooking.
  4. Baked potato soup. We love this so much. I leave out the bacon and use milk instead of cream, and it's still fabulous.
  5. Lentil taco salad. We loved this recipe, but beware: it took only about half the time specified to cook. We added ranch dressing and salsa to the list of condiments, and wow!
  6. Southwestern three-bean and barley soup. This is so good! Follow the slow cooker instructions under "Tips and Notes," and take note: when you reduce the liquid to two cups, you are still adding four additional cups of chicken broth. I added half a cup of alphabet pasta and an extra cup of water about 45 minutes from the end, and that added some extra appeal for my children.

4 comments:

  1. If you want a challenge, research the raw food diet. Sounds easy, but it's complicated. But it's really healthy. I go on 3-4 day stints of 100% raw vegan, but on the 4th or 5th day, I'm like waa, I want a cheeseburger and fries. People swear by it like it's a cure all. It's not that, but it is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipes.. How sweet of you to share. You are right, it is hard to find meatless crock pot recipes. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, YES! I think the crock pot must have been made for meat lovers or something. Every crock pot recipe starts with, "Grab a hunk of meat and..."

    I'll have to try these if I ever bother to get my crock pot back from the friend I loaned it to.

    I use my pressure cooker a lot instead. I quickly cook rice, beans, lentils, even vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I googled canned beans to dry beans and found your wonderful blog. This post is right up my alley. We're trying to eat less meat. I can see I will be spending my afternoon reading posts here.

    ReplyDelete