3/8/13

Well-seasoned bread pans


Guess what? I don't wash my bread pans. I bought the three pans below from a thrift store (do you have any idea how hard it can be to find 8" pans, by the way?), and when I had them at first, I put them in the dishwasher. Bad idea. So I started hand-washing them.

Soon I started making most of our own bread, and I realized that the pans didn't really need washing. I would just pop out the loaves of sandwich bread, wait for the pans to cool, and wipe the grease off with a paper towel.

 

It worked so well, that that's still how I'm taking care of them. As long as I don't make anything but yeast bread in them, and as long as the bread doesn't stick, I don't have to wash them. If I make banana bread or something stickier in them, obviously I have to (hand) wash them.

I love how a coating of seasoning is building up on the pans: it helps the bread slide out even easier. It reminds me of seasoning cast iron pans.

Below is a bread pan I had before that I used to put in the dishwasher. Bad idea! I hardly ever use it anymore because I like my other pans better.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea.. I have been washing mine, and they don't last long..Tooo soon, they began to stick.
    You are right the 8 in ones are hard to find. Happy bread making..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also do not wash my bread pans. I have two sets of pans one that I cook quick breads in like banana bread and then a set for my yeast breads. I think that the bread tastes better as well when the pan is not washed. My Grandma told me this many years ago.

    ReplyDelete