3/5/13

Scheduling housework


I've fallen off my routine in the last several months, and I don't like the feeling of wandering around the house aimlessly, wondering what I should do, and then remembering later, when it's too late, all the pressing things I should have been doing.

I've been living like I'm in survival mode, but the truth is that Tiger Lily isn't a baby anymore: she's three years old and potty trained. I usually don't have to get up more than once a night with her (she screams in her sleep a lot), and some nights she doesn't wake me up at all. What I'm getting at is that there's no reason for me to be living in survival mode anymore. There's not even an excuse for me to be sleeping in or napping most days. Things are pretty easy for me at the moment.

With all this in mind, I sat down Sunday and wrote myself a housework schedule. I've done this before, and the schedule I came up with looked very similar to past schedules I've made (I don't know why, but I really like doing bedrooms on Monday).

To aid my transformation, I'm also participating in Crystal's early to rise challenge. I can't tell you how much easier it is to get up in the morning when I know what I'm going to be doing that day! What's more, I can get started earlier.

This is all going to be very good for me.

———

Do you have a housework schedule? How does it work out for you? Any tips?

9 comments:

  1. I don't have a schedule, but I have a method. I start in one corner of the apartment and work my way clockwise, putting things back in their place. Then start laundry, then dishes, then wipe things down, and finally take out the trash and fold the laundry. However, being that the yard sale was this past weekend and we're going on vacation next week, it's a mess. Things are everywhere, and there's no food and no point to grocery shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that when I lived in an apartment. It's so much easier to take care of an apartment than a house. I hope you have a nice vacation!

      Delete
    2. I actually just remembered my bookcase of cans. I can make those soups over the next few days while I pack my bags. I really can't wait to go to Chicago. Haven't seen that part of the family for 8 years.

      Delete
  2. I need to get rolling myself. Also, wondering if Tiger Lily has night terrors. If so, not fun, not fun at all. We had fun with that with our first and I hope it doesn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Chief had night terrors a few times. It was scary! But I think Tiger Lily is just having bad dreams, because when I come to comfort her, she wakes up and is able to respond and calm down. I wish I knew how to help her sleep more quietly, though. I know I shouldn't complain since she's the one having a rough night, but I would really love to sleep one of these nights and not be woken up suddenly by a scream from my daughter.

      Delete
  3. Dianna,
    I have had a housework schedule, but the last few weeks [blaming it on the rainy, cold, muddy winter months,ha]. I really need to get back on it.. It really makes things run smoother, and seems so much easier to keep things running smoothly.[I hate when everything is out of order].
    SO sorry about Tiger Lily's dreams .. This is so hard.. Proud it is getting better, sending prayers it will soon be gone.
    Thank you for sharing, I think I will get my notebook out and work on a new schedule.. Have you ever posted a schedule on your blog? I love to see what others do...and get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one—the weather really got to me this winter too! I will try to post my schedule soon.

      Delete
  4. I can't seem to be in control of my time because of all the little kids and the baby. But, I have been getting sleep as my 2 month old has slept through the night several time! Can you believe that? Sorry you've having to get up so much. I know I don't do well with being up at night.
    I love scheduling housework, but these days I can't count on having time to do it when I want. OH well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for your baby sleeping through the night! That is fantastic. I think everything changes when you have a child under 2, and especially a baby. Babies don't do schedules!

      Delete