Background

3/12/13

Recently tried recipes


Pasta with white bean alfredo sauce. This wasn't a huge hit, but got eaten. It is a serviceable food storage menu item, and a unique way to eat beans. It's going into our food storage rotation.

Cream of cabbage soup. This was quite good. The grown-ups ate a lot; the kids ate a little. I used a whole head of cabbage instead of a half, and I'm glad I did. If I made it again, I would add more cornstarch.

Currant scones. For some reason the past few weeks I keep remembering the time during college when my medieval lit teacher invited the class over to her house for currant scones and lemon curd instead of having a final. I'm so glad I tried making these. They're heavenly, even without lemon curd. We ate them hot, and I think I enjoyed the smell even more than the taste.

Black bean tacos. I had to try this recipe because (1) we have a ton of black beans to use and (2) I wanted to try the method of frying up the tortillas in the pan with the filling inside. These were fun to make and fun to eat! I worried that the filling wouldn't have enough flavor, but it tasted great (I did add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder). The only thing I will change next time is to use a different kind of oil: olive oil did not work well for the frying and I think an oil that can handle higher heat will be better. I will definitely be making this again.

Buttermilk chocolate Texas sheet cake. The first time I tried to make a chocolate sheet cake, I used a recipe that was evidently written for a smaller pan than mine, because my cake ended up about 1/2" tall. So I tried this recipe written for a baker's half-sheet, and it turned out just lovely. Very sticky. Yum. Next time I will flour the pan after greasing it (or use Baker's Joy, which I love) because the cake sticks to the bottom of the pan and it's hard to get slices out.

3 comments:

  1. I've made those black bean tacos twice. We love them. Unfortunately, they give me tummy aches, so we won't be making them much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When can I come over for dinner lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you love Baker's Joy. We do too. Go to this URL (http://www.bakersjoy.com/coupons/) for a coupon…for next time :)

    ReplyDelete