2/20/13

Thanksgiving dinner


There's a turkey thawing in the fridge! Later this week, I'll be cooking my first-ever Thanksgiving dinner. I've never had to cook one before because we're always visiting family on the big day, but I just want to know that I can do it, so I'm going to give it a try.

Here are some things I'm going to try to make it all go more smoothly:
  • Make everything ahead that I possibly can, since the oven will be full of turkey
  • Use my slow cooker
  • Write up a schedule of when to start each dish
  • Don't stuff the turkey so it will cook faster
  • Give the turkey an extra day in the fridge to thaw
Do you have any tips for me? Do you make your own Thanksgiving dinner?

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea.. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful meal.. and great time to share with the ones we love.. and this week would be a great week!!
    I do cook Thanksgiving /Christmas/ Easter and all major holidays for my kids and grandkids..
    You sound like you have it all organized. That, to me, is the most important thing.. Cooking ahead things that can be done ahead. I also, buy the turkey roasting bag to cook my turkey in. They cook alot faster in the bags [than covering with tin foil]. and holds in the moisture for a more moist bird.. Just my thoughts on the matter,ha.
    Hope you and family enjoy your meal.. GOd bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you've got it all under control. I make ahead as much as I can and now that I use Pyrex instead of Rubbermaid I make it in the dish that it will cook in and leftovers can be stored in too less to wash in the end. I will put a post it or something on the lid saying how long to cook it for as we'll.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually brine our turkeys. My husband is a fan of Alton Brown, so he follows his recipes. This past thanksgiving we did sweet potatoes in one crock pot and the green beans in another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to do a dry rub brine on the turkey for a couple of days in the fridge. Coat the turkey with your seasonings including pickling spice and let the turkey sit for a couple of days. Shake him off (don't rinse) before you cook him. I also like to stick some rosemary, onion, and lemon inside of him before cooking.

    ReplyDelete