2/5/13

Pinstrosity challenge: Baked beans


There is a blog I enjoy reading called Pinstrosity, and this month they're challenging us to try out some of the things we have pinned and report on them.

I think it sounds like fun, especially because there is so much on Pinterest that promises miracles with no proof. I hope that by trying out some pins, I'll have fun and get a few things done into the bargain.

So, after that intro, here's what I did this weekend . . . I made baked beans! Except they didn't turn out as expected.

The original pin is here. Doesn't it look great?

Here's how mine turned out:


More like bean soup. We ate them anyway, and they were edible, but not terribly exciting. I followed the directions pretty closely other than leaving out the tempeh bacon. Oh, and I used great northern beans instead of navy beans—possibly that could have been the problem? And perhaps they might have thickened up more if I had let them cook an extra hour, who knows?

In any case, if I made these again, I would probably reduce the water by 1.5 cups, and/or possibly stir in a can of tomato paste at the end. But I will probably just try out another recipe.

3 comments:

  1. That would be good with some diced tomatoes and cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want some laughs, check out pinterestfail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy ..a good soup anyway,ha.
    Have fun , trying out the recipes..

    ReplyDelete