Background

2/8/13

Make your own brown sugar


 

I made my own brown sugar this week (via this pin), and I was surprised at how well it turned out!

I have been wanting to try this because for long-term storage purposes, I think molasses and sugar will be easier to store than brown sugar, which tends to eventually turn into a brick.

The instructions I used called for 1–2 tablespoons of molasses per cup of brown sugar. I used about 1.5. I combined 4 cups of white sugar and 6 tablespoons molasses in my stand mixer and let it go. It took longer than I thought it would, but it did eventually turn into brown sugar.

The texture is just right. My molasses is very strong, so my brown sugar smells a bit stronger than store-bought. But when I used it in a recipe I didn't notice a thing.

When it was done, I dumped it all into my very classy old cottage cheese container. Success!

After I finished, I pulled out a bag of brown sugar to look at the ingredients. There were just three: sugar, invert sugar, and molasses. I had no idea what invert sugar was, so I looked it up. Invert sugar is similar in texture to corn syrup and honey (and can even be made at home). That might explain why my brown sugar smells so much stronger than store-bought. If I want mine to be less strong next time, I might use a bit of corn syrup or honey in place of part of the molasses (I'm thinking I would try 1/4 cup molasses and 2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey).

UPDATE: I tried the 1/4 cup molasses and 2 tablespoons corn syrup and it was just right.

If you try making brown sugar, I hope you'll let me know how it worked!


4 comments:

  1. I make my own and love it it gives Chocolate cookies a very rich taste. I add a little extra molasses and make it as I need it I have found that it is richer and taster that way. Sweet and Sour sauce with it is good too. I commented already but it didn't go through so if you get 2 sorry. :0)

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this right into the recipes for the last month or so; I like having to store less in my cabinets! I have used it in cookies and even the bread machine. I haven't made it up in advance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making brown sugar for years now. Much prefer it to buying the brown sugar. Less to store and, as long as you have both ingredients on hand, easy to mix up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I feel stupid! I had never even thought of making my own but makes complete sense now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete