2/19/13

A closet, boxed


Awhile ago, I realized that I was keeping too many of the kids' old clothes. Over the past few weeks, I've been going through them and getting rid of anything that was damaged, stained, never fit right, or that I didn't like. I got rid of three garbage bags full of clothes yesterday and boxed up the rest.

I now have seven boxes of outgrown kids' clothes. Although the kids are growing more slowly now (and wearing out more of their clothes), I can see these becoming a problem down the line. I don't want them taking over the house. Do you keep your kids' old clothes? How do you organize them? How do you decide which ones to keep?

Part of me would like to just get rid of all of them, but if we ever need them again, it's much easier and cheaper just to pull out the old ones. And they have so many memories attached.

I thought about keeping the kids' old stained clothes to make a quilt out of, but I decided against it, and I'm glad I did. It would be a lot of work to make a quilt, and the clothes would probably just sit around in a big pile for years making me feel guilty. I'm very glad they're out of the house.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, way to be organized! I love all those bins lined up.
    I know I have too much clothing in certain sizes. I recently went through a bunch of it, but yeah, it's hard to part with when you may use it again. I've decided that from now on I'll go through each box as another kid uses it and pay attention to what is worn out, doesn't fit, etc.
    I really despise shopping, so I've gotta hang onto those clothes to avoid unnecessary trips to the store. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margo, your right it is hard to get rid of some of the special memory clothes...
    My kids have been gone for alot of yrs now, but,when they were home.I use to go through their clothes twice a year [winter /summer]. I had a girl and a boy , that were 4 yrs a part, so we didn't have much clothes sharing. SO, normally, I had 2 piles which were donate pile,and trash pile.. I still do this with my hubby and my clothes.. To keep the closets organized.
    Your tubs look really nice and organize.. I love ORGANAZION.

    ReplyDelete