1/4/13

Party dress


Tiger Lily hardly needed another dress, but I thought it would be fun to sew along again with Project Run and Play, and they picked out this cute party dress pattern for their first challenge. 

The floral print cloth is from a thrifted sheet. The white and blue cloth came from my mother-in-law. The only thing I had to buy was the cover-able buttons. It was my first time doing covered buttons and I was surprised at how fast and easy it was. I'll definitely use them again!

The only thing I did to change the pattern was to add sleeves. I pulled sleeve and bodice pieces from another pattern. I traced the curve of the armhole for this dress to match the bodice piece from the other dress. I had to deviate from the construction method to get the sleeves in, obviously. I also lined the skirt, as the fabric was a bit sheer.

Tiger Lily is thrilled with her "white dress" (she's been asking for one for awhile). I'm pretty happy with it too! (By the way, I wish I could always take pictures at my parents' house. Aren't those quilts amazing? My great-grandmother made them.)

I don't think I'll sew along every week with Project Run and Play, but I'm going to aim for three. I have a rather ambitious ensemble planned out for boys' week, using some patterns I got for Christmas. We'll see if I can get it done in time!

17 comments:

  1. Tiger Lily looks beautiful and her dress is stunning... I love it, The blue with the white ..so pretty.. and love, love those quilts.. Happy sewing, and look forward to your next project run and play..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely. When you add sleeves, do you get puckers in the shoulders easily? If so, what do you do to get them out? I love that quilt, too. A girl was in the laundry room washing some beautiful ones that her grandmother made. I was in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get any puckers when I added the sleeves, probably because I worked the sleeves into the construction of the dress rather than sewing the dress up and then adding sleeves.

      Tiger Lily has a lined sleeveless dress that I want to add sleeves to, but I'm not sure how to go about it without taking the whole dress apart.

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea. I should try that next time.

      Delete
  3. The quilts are heartwarming! Such a pretty little dress, it reminds me a little of Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And I agree - the quilts are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the color combination is so sweet - and I love the extra wide sash, great re-mix

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty. i am impressed with the sleeves, i find it really difficult& annoying to draft sleeves for patterns. They fit, but just not *perfect* ... lol. but a lovely job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty dress! I love the colors and the beautiful wide sash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to come back to say that I checked out your blog a bit and LOVE Carmen Kitty! That dress is charming and fits the singing Tiger Lilly perfectly. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am humming "My favorite things" after reading this :) Little girls in white and blue are lovely. And the quilts in the background are wonderful. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I couldn't think of a good name for this dress, but I guess you just did. It's perfect and now I love the dress even more!

      Delete
  11. so sweet :)
    also really like the backdrop with all those handmade quilts.
    maybe you'd like to submit this dress to the Vintage Sheet Blog: http://www.vintagesheetblog.com/p/vintage-sheet-submissions.html
    if you haven't already... just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't covered buttons the best? I'm completely addicted. I love the blue flowered print. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, I loveyour fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete