1/17/13

Book report


I bit off more than I could chew with my reading list last year! Between that and between making an effort to spend less time reading, I didn't finish my reading list. I am not going to feel guilty about it: I'm actually pleased that I've cut down on my reading time a little.

My books-that-come-out-this-year list kept growing and growing as I kept hearing of new books coming out that I wanted to read. I enjoyed reading the new books, and I will probably do that again this year. I will keep track of them on Goodreads.

———

My updated reading list for last year (additions since last time updated in bold):

  • Read two abridged classics
    • Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne
  • Read two science books
    • The Diversity of Life by E.O. Wilson (this took far longer than I had anticipated to get through, but it was worth it!)
  • Read three classics I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 
    • Inferno by Dante Alighieri 
  • Read a book about grammar or the English language
    • The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
  • Read a book about literature
    • The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood by Jack Zipes
  • Read a book by C.S. Lewis
    • Mere Christianity
  • Read two books about parenting/kids
    • Teaching Your Children Values by Linda Eyre (currently reading)
  • Read two books about Suzuki violin
  • Read something by Enid Blyton
    • Malory Towers series 
    • Some of The Naughtiest Girl series
  • Read five books that I own that I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    • My Name is Sus5an Smith. The 5 is Silent. by Louise Plummer 
    • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer 
    • The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye
    • Rosemary for Remembrance by Sunni Jeffers
    • Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars
  • Read two church books
    • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
    • Against the Odds: The Life of George Albert Smith by Mary Jane Woodger
  • Read two homemaking books
    • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
    • (I read some other homemaking books, but not the ones from my list)
  • Books that come out this year
    • Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
    • Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
    • Fever by Lauren DeStefano
    • Storybound by Marissa Burt
    • French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon 
    • A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont
    • For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund 
    • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce
    • Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
    • Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
    • Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy
    • Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin
    • Wonder by R.J. Palacio (currently reading)
    • The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech
    • The Prairie Thief by Melissa Wiley 

3 comments:

  1. I love Goodreads! :) Once, when I apparently had a lot of time on my hands, I went through and found everything I can ever remember having read and filed it away in chronological order. It's kind of interesting to scroll through and remember my childhood (which was lived largely through books!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I should check out some of these! Not like I'm going to get any reading done any time soon with a new baby, but one can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read "Banished" by Lauren Drain. She grew up in the infamous Westboro baptist church, and was later thrown out. The book is her memoir, but it's not out yet.

    ReplyDelete