12/8/12

Hummus by taste


Yesterday I made hummus for the first time in years, which is silly, because I love the stuff, it's cheap to make, and it's quite healthy as snacks go.

In any case, I was too lazy to look up a recipe, and it turned out the best ever! I dumped a can of (drained) chickpeas in my mini food processor with two cloves of garlic. I added a little olive oil, a large dollop of tahini, some lemon juice. I processed it until smooth, adding a little extra water and olive oil until it would process right. Then I added crushed red pepper, more lemon juice, and salt until it tasted right.

Do you ever cook by taste instead of by recipe? What do you make that way? Does it work for you?

5 comments:

  1. Diana,
    I do cook by taste quiet frequently.. I will have made the particular recipe alot in my lifetime.. But,when I make it again, it will taste different each time.ha.
    I think the different taste to the recipes ,just makes it better.. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I do most things like that--soup and baked goods especially. Pumpkin pie, I do by color; I keep adding spices until it's dark enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn to like hummus. The recipe I tried once didn't thrill me. What's tahini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sesame seed paste. It kind of reminds me of natural peanut butter. You buy it in jars near the peanut butter. It has a very distinctive taste that makes hummus taste very different.

      Delete
  4. I cook by taste all the time. There are few things I actually use a recipe for. Or, I will look up a recipe just to get an idea for the ingredients and still cook it by taste.

    ReplyDelete