I've been sewing for Christmas. Tiger Lily has been wanting a robe lately, because everyone else has one. I found a thrifted pattern in my collection (Simplicity 5803) from about the time I was born, and used it to make up this cute little robe (in fabric chosen by Red Chief—it was either thrifted or a pass-along, I can't remember which).

I am so pleased with how it turned out! My new machine is so nice to use, and I have learned a lot since I started sewing. This robe had a few firsts for me. It was my first time using interfacing, and my first time making a real collar (and I wish the instructions were a lot more specific for that, but I did figure it out eventually and it turned out better than I hoped).

Also, it was my first time doing patch pockets successfully. I made some on this apron, but I misunderstood the instructions and they turned out kind of funny (although acceptable). I successfully interpreted the instructions for the pockets on this robe, and although my curves are a little amateur, I'm still pleased with how they turned out (especially with the rickrack!).

I ignored the instructions for the carriers and belt and did it my way. When I made Red Chief's robe, the carriers were so narrow I was never able to turn them right side out after sewing them, and I ended up just using bias tape. On this robe, I just pressed under all the sides and topstitched for both the carriers and belt. It worked better and I was much less frustrated.

I also finished this robe more nicely than I did Red Chief's. I zigzagged or pinked all the seams that weren't finished. I topstitched.

I'm going to have a hard time waiting until Christmas to see this on Tiger Lily!


6 Comments

  1. This robe is adorable. I love the fabric you chose, and the yellow ric rack is just tooo cute.. Tiger lily will be so happy.. great job and happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute you did a great job! I think it will a hit for your little one.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Good job. It's fun to learn new sewing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cute!!! And I'm sure she'll have a lot of fun snuggling up in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very pretty robe. I know she is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.