I've been sewing for Christmas. Tiger Lily has been wanting a robe lately, because everyone else has one. I found a thrifted pattern in my collection (Simplicity 5803) from about the time I was born, and used it to make up this cute little robe (in fabric chosen by Red Chief—it was either thrifted or a pass-along, I can't remember which).
I am so pleased with how it turned out! My new machine is so nice to use, and I have learned a lot since I started sewing. This robe had a few firsts for me. It was my first time using interfacing, and my first time making a real collar (and I wish the instructions were a lot more specific for that, but I did figure it out eventually and it turned out better than I hoped).
Also, it was my first time doing patch pockets successfully. I made some on this apron, but I misunderstood the instructions and they turned out kind of funny (although acceptable). I successfully interpreted the instructions for the pockets on this robe, and although my curves are a little amateur, I'm still pleased with how they turned out (especially with the rickrack!).
I ignored the instructions for the carriers and belt and did it my way. When I made Red Chief's robe, the carriers were so narrow I was never able to turn them right side out after sewing them, and I ended up just using bias tape. On this robe, I just pressed under all the sides and topstitched for both the carriers and belt. It worked better and I was much less frustrated.
I also finished this robe more nicely than I did Red Chief's. I zigzagged or pinked all the seams that weren't finished. I topstitched.
I'm going to have a hard time waiting until Christmas to see this on Tiger Lily!