11/5/12

Nurturing

"Mothers who know are nurturers. This is their special assignment and role under the plan of happiness. To nurture means to cultivate, care for, and make grow. Therefore, mothers who know create a climate for spiritual and temporal growth in their homes. Another word for nurturing is homemaking. Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes and dishes, and keeping an orderly home."
Sister Julie B. Beck, "Mothers Who Know," October 2007.

I've been thinking about the word nurture lately. Usually when I think of nurturing my children, I think of calming fears, wiping tears, and tucking them into bed at night. But Sister Beck is right: nurturing is more than that, and it includes the less glamorous aspects of homemaking such as cleaning, laundry, and cooking.

If only I can remember this the next time I'm putting off the laundry. Do my children feel nurtured when they run out of clean clothes? How about when we sit down to eat a last-minute dinner and the table is hastily and messily set and the floor is sticky and covered in cooties? I know that I prefer things to be neat and orderly—it just feels better that way, and it frees my mind from many worries.

Homemaking is a hard aspect of nurturing for me sometimes, because when everything has been going smoothly for awhile, it seems that no one notices. Do my children feel nurtured even when they're not thinking of everything I do to take care of them? I hope so.

During cold and dark seasons, sometimes I plan all day for a cozy evening at home. I clean up the house, especially the kitchen and living area. I make something warm for dinner, and I make sure the house smells nice. Perhaps I will turn on some relaxing music. Then I light a candle on my clean counter (or even on the dinner table), and we can enjoy a warm, bright evening together. This doesn't happen very often. I am hoping that I will be able to work toward a nurturing home every day, and not just sometimes.

What are some ways you like to nurture your family through homemaking?

5 comments:

  1. I think that no matter what you do or don't do, if you have a positive attitude about your children, you are a nurturing parent. You can follow all sorts of good parenting rules to a T, and still harbor resentment towards your children. The kids will pick up on your attitude towards them, not the dos and don'ts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right that our attitude is the most important thing. I know my kids pick up on my attitude right away, especially when it's bad!

      Delete
  2. Margo,
    What a thoughtful post. Nuturing is such a wonderful thing. Now that my children are grown and gone with families of thier own to nuture, I often wonder, did I make my kids feel nutured? Or did our rush,rush life intefere with that wonderful time of our lives? Well, there were days, I so enjoyed the clean house, the planned out cooked supper all put out with love. But there were days, that I so didn't put that effort into my nuturing. I sometimes,wish I could go back and redo those days again.. However, My grown kids will be over visiting and get to talking about their growning up years.. And they seem to have enjoyed our lives. So, I think that nuturing is felt...even when we are not sure they notice.
    Now, that our children are grown, I feel that same need to nuture my home for Kenny and my self.. How nice it feels to have a clean house with a warm /good supper. Then, we can sit in the living room and throw in that occasional conversation of our families and enjoy it. Kenny ,I am sure, doesn't notice all the little things, but the nuturing was there,it makes me happy and I am sure he enjoys it too.
    Margo, I like to get the house all clean,fix a good supper, have all the dishes washed and put away, light the smell good candle. Have the living room all clean and ready for fun conversations. Then finish up a good evening,by heading to a clean bedroom with fresh sheets. What a great day.. And I too, wish I would do this every day or at least more often..
    I really enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. I like the thought of setting the stage for a nice evening of conversation, and of nurturing ourselves, not just our children.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your visit.
    I try to nurture my kids talking about the memories the food I'm cooking brings back... they love hearing how I used to behave when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete