10/30/12

Rocket man


This was my first year making Halloween costumes for the kids, and it ended up being a lot of fun, even if I did procrastinate a little. My mom emailed me this link from Pinterest a few months ago, and it immediately caught Red Chief's attention.

I did it a little differently from the link: I used a cereal box covered in this paper, and I hot-glued on some elastic for the straps (and it stayed on really well). Also, our flames were made by Red Chief from construction paper held together with masking tape. I'm glad that he had a part in creating his own costume.

After I hot-glued the soda bottles onto the box, I thought it seemed a little wobbly, so I wrapped some packing tape around it. Not the most beautiful thing ever, but a little tape never bothered Red Chief, as those of you who know him will know.

After I thought it was all finished, Red Chief noticed something was missing: an on/off switch. So he drew one on the side. 

I'm not expecting this to last long. All I hope is that it will make it thorough our three Halloween events.

video

5 comments:

  1. How very cute! Wonderful job making our little ones dreams come true is always a treat. I love hat he added an on/off switch. :0)

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It comes from a short story by O. Henry called "The Ransom of Red Chief". You can see it here.

      Needless to say, that's not his real name. He's also not quite as naughty as the original. :)

      Delete
  3. Nor are you hankering to be rid of him.

    ReplyDelete