10/31/12

Recently tried recipes


Alphabet soup. This is a very simple, basic recipe, and it can be made completely from pantry ingredients. Red Chief loved it and asked to have it for lunch the next day. This is similar to canned vegetable soup but there are lots more veggies! I'm looking forward to using this recipe a lot in the future, and I think it could be easily modified to use all sorts of veggies we might have on hand.

Brazilian cheese bread. I made this to use up my tapioca flour, and because I thought it sounded good. Everyone liked it, and I would like to make it again—with modifications. The recipe says to make the batter in your blender, but it was super thick, even after I added an extra egg. I tried the mini food processor, but that couldn't handle it either. I finally ended up kneading it together by hand, which worked just fine. I made the dough in the morning and refrigerated it until dinner time. The dough was so stiff that instead of using mini muffin tins, I was able to roll it into balls and bake it on a cookie sheet. In any case, next time I make this, I'll just mix the dough by hand and avoid getting two appliances dirty.

Hot milk sponge cake. I already wrote about this a little, but I don't think I raved enough. This is so good! It tastes great, and I love the spongy texture—you can eat a piece of this out of your hands with no plate, and you won't get crumbs all over the floor. I've been looking all over for a white/yellow cake recipe, and this is it.

Nutella buttercream frosting. This frosting is really good. I have always wanted to make a light-colored chocolate frosting. The only downside is that the hazelnut flavor from the Nutella isn't really obvious here. It would probably  be more economical to adapt this or another recipe to use a smaller amount of cocoa powder.

TVP meatballs. I made a half recipe of these, and added 1/4 cup whole wheat flour to help them stick together (perhaps they didn't stick because I squished them together by hand instead of using a food processor?). In any case, they held together just fine. I didn't love the oregano flavor, and next time I will leave that out. I'm thinking about adding a few drops of liquid smoke next time, too. I ate one plain to try it, and it was pretty good. I put the rest in my mom's meatballs and rice recipe. They're definitely not the same, but it's impressive how close the texture is to ground beef. The day after we had these for dinner, I was a little sick. I'm not positive it was the TVP, but I've heard it can cause some problems. So I guess I'll have to try it again to find out.

Slow cooker baked potato soup. I made this without the bacon. I loved it! I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day. Mr. Mordecai was wishing for a bit more excitement in the flavor. I wish I could tell you how the kids liked it, but honestly, I can't remember anymore. I actually don't care very much whether my kids like dinner or not—that's why I still like to cook. In any case, I'm planning on making this soup again.

Artichoke pasta. This was not that great. It's probably tweakable, but I'm not sure I'll bother.

Chicken-fried "steak."  For a "steak" made from rolled oats, this was pretty good. Still contemplating whether I want to make these again, and what changes to make. If we do make them again, I'll probably halve the recipe for the four of us—those portions are very generous, and no one wants to eat the leftovers. Changes I made the first time around were using a packet of gravy mix in place of one of the cans of soup, and adding some Worcestershire sauce. I also ended up adding about 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to the oat mixture to make it stick. I think this meal would make a nice addition to a food storage plan (mine right now is mostly beans).

9 comments:

  1. Where is your pumpkin recipe for the freezer? Something about putting the pumpkin in the blender with milk and cinnamon and then freezing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't add anything to mine. I cook it (in the oven), then I scoop it out and put it through the food mill, and then freeze it. You could boil it down if it's too watery, but mine was just fine last year. I don't add any other ingredients. If you don't have a food mill, you could use a blender probably, or a food processor. Try not to add any liquid unless you have to—think how thick canned pumpkin is.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I only have a blender. I baked the pumpkin, and put it in the blender with coconut milk and cinnamon sugar. It smelled awesome! Maybe some pie or cookies for Thanksgiving this year. We'll see how it thaws. I needed something to do with the coconut milk. And, I have one more pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised the Brazilian cheese bread turned out to have such a stiff dough. I use that same recipe for mine (I've also made a more 'authentic' but complicated one) and it's really a batter, not a dough when I've made it. I mix it with my stick blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could figure out what happened! I triple-checked my quantities when the dough turned so stiff. The tapioca just soaked up all the liquid like a super-sponge. I wonder if it was because I milled my own. Perhaps it's a different type than the tapioca flour you can buy?

      Delete
    2. I bet that is it. The kind I get is very fine indeed, the same consistency as corn starch. (In fact, it can serve as a substitute for cornstarch in stuff like ice cream base.) Did you mill it from tapioca pearls? My googling indicates that milling tapioca flour from pearls (as opposed to making it directly from the cassava root) gives you flour that requires a lot more liquid in recipes.

      I make that cheesebread a lot, so I just buy my tapioca starch in a 6 pack. Way better pricing than 1 pound at a time.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I milled it from pearls, and not the "minute" kind that is so common, the big kind that you get from the Asian grocery store. I will drastically increase the liquid next time I make it!

      Delete
  4. I'm doing your chicken thing again today to make a Greek soup called avgolemono (egg lemon). Putting some of the chicken slices with onion in the chicken broth and making a mixture of eggs and lemon juice that go in last. Rice can be used, too. It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! You should put the recipe on your blog.

      Delete