9/25/12

Will it grind?


While reading a lovely blog last week, I stumbled across this wonderful website: Will It Grind?

The site is maintained by the makers of the Wonder Mill, which just happens to be the grain mill that I have. All my questions are answered! I have been afraid to experiment too much with my mill because I didn't want to ruin it.

The only grains I have ground so far are wheat and rice. But now that I can see a beautiful list of what works and what doesn't, and whether putting something in my machine will void the warranty, well, I'm excited to get experimenting.

I think first up will be this Brazilian cheese bread, which calls for tapioca flour. I actually have a package of tapioca pearls languishing in my pantry. Soon they will be flour, and then bread.

Now I need new ideas! Do you have any recipes that use non-wheat flours? What on their list would you be interested in grinding?

P.S. After seeing them grind lobster shells, all I can think of is, "I'll grind your bones to make my bread." But I'm not planning on grinding anyone's bones, just for the record. Fee fie foe fum.

3 comments:

  1. That is a nice blog. Maybe grinding bones to make bread is an idea for your food from books page. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha,ha,ha...Sure hope you don't start grinding bones.lol
    THe brazilian cheese bread sounds wonderful.. Can't wait to see all the things you come up with..
    have fun..Proud you found the sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, those guys are liars! ( : I have tried grinding yellow field corn in one of those before and it DOES NOT WORK. End of story. I don't know what they did to make it work for the video, but it's a really bad idea. I have never found a grinder that will grind field corn without killing it. It killed my K-Tec one and nearly killed my neighbor's wonder mill. I decided to just grind popcorn for my cornmeal instead so I wouldn't hurt any more machines. The field corn is too big and hard.

    ReplyDelete