9/21/12

Two pots of broth from one chicken


I wanted to make a batch of homemade, from-scratch chicken soup in time for dinner, but my chicken was frozen solid. In the morning, I started thawing the chicken in cold water.

By late morning, it was making progress but not thawed enough, so I put it in a huge pot of water and started boiling away. I put in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme from my garden, and it smelled heavenly. I let it simmer for a few hours (past the point of doneness probably, but I was taking a nap).

I took out the falling-apart chicken and strained the broth. Pot #1.

When the chicken cooled enough to handle, I picked all the meat apart, saved some for the soup, and froze the rest. Then I put the bones, skin, and other remains in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes at 450 degrees.

Then I put the roasted remains (along with liquid I used to deglaze the pan) in the slow cooker and covered them with water. I added some salt, a little vinegar, two bay leaves, and a few peppercorns. I left it all in there for about two days, until the bones started to soften.

Then I strained the broth and discarded the solids. Pot #2.

And that is the story of how I got two pots of broth from one chicken.

8 comments:

  1. I usually roast the chicken for a meal and serve up some slices of chicken and use drippings for gravy. Then after I've picked over the chicken and saved the rest of the meat, I stick all the bones and stuff in my pressure cooker with some water and cook it for about 15 minutes. Then da-dah! Nice chicken broth- and it cooks lots of the stuff out of the bones that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade chicken soup with lots of garlic great for colds.I usually make a nice crusty bread to go with the soup.

    I use my crockpot too to make broth makes it do much easier. I bet your broth turned so nice and rich tasting sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really awesome. I always hesitate to do the broth from the cubes, because of the high sodium level. I will have to try this next time I remember to buy a chicken.
    Question- the pieces of the "falling apart" chicken that you put in the freezer, are you planning on eating them later? Can you eat them like that, just warmed up? I am a horrible cook when it comes to meat, but good cook when it comes to everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to use chicken bouillon less often too, because it's so salty. I tried buying a different brand recently, one that has no MSG. That's a little better, I guess.

      When I picked all the meat off the chicken, it was fully cooked, so yes, you can pull it out of the freezer and thaw it and it's ready to eat. It's a great convenience food. You can use it in soups, casseroles, chicken salad, anything that calls for small pieces of meat.

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful..Love that you put all the herbs in the boiling water.. Bet it will be the best broth.. yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing this today. Got some milk, different types of mushrooms and leeks to make mushroom soup from it. I'll let u know how it comes out. And I had great coupons for chicken helpers for the chicken that comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I didn't do the second pot. The first one was too much already. I made the cream of mushroom soup, and froze a lot of it. I also made a garlic tomato soup. I minced garlic and put it in the blender with the broth and 6 roma tomatoes. Then, I put it over medium heat for a while. I froze a lot of that, too, and even froze some more broth. I ate some of the tomato soup today with bread. It was great! And the shredded chicken, I put four freezer bags of it in the freezer. Wheew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth is watering just thinking about all that soup. I love soup. I hope you enjoy your convenience food!

      Delete