9/17/12

Soft pretzels



I made soft pretzels last week. For some reason I didn't expect them to turn out well, but they ended up just about perfect—nice and chewy. The only thing lacking was proper pretzel salt, which I will search for the next time I go to the grocery store.

Mr. Mordecai loves soft pretzels. They are a little extra work, but I could easily serve them alongside soup or salad in place of bread or rolls. They're no worse for you than white bread.

Here is the recipe I used. It's a keeper! I like that it doesn't call for bread flour—a lot of soft pretzel recipes do, and I don't keep it on hand. I think I will rewrite the recipe, though, to better suit my methods and to condense it a little. I like my recipes to be concise: I hate wading around in extra text and unnecessary steps when I'm baking.
 
P.S. I just rewrote the recipe for my own files. 412 words down to 238.

9 comments:

  1. They look like they turned out delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing! Have a blessed week~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I went grocery shopping, I bought a "soft pretzel making kit", but we haven't done it yet. The kit was $5, so next time I may try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy a good soft pretzel. I will try this recipe on your recommendation. It sounds somewhat like making bagels. My pretzel recipes usually just have me slip the raw pretzel through baking soda water. The poaching is more like a bagel and probably helps it have a nice outer crust. Tell me, did you let your mixer do the kneading or did you do it by hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This reminded me of making bagels, which I have only done once before. The poaching makes the pretzels nice and chewy.

      I let my mixer do the kneading. Luckily the knead in this recipe is short, because the dough was very stiff and my poor mixer was struggling.

      Delete
  4. I'm like that about recipes too. I like the ones that say things like, "quick bread method" as the only instructions, lol. A lot of time, when I'm writing one down, I just use arrows to group and order the ingredients, and leave instructions off all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made the recipe more efficient. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to pin this so that I can make these. I love pretzels with cheese or mustard... YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pretzels from my kit came out horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Maybe a recipe would come out better. I've mostly given up on mixes.

      Delete