8/24/12

Morning. Ugh.






I'm trying once again to be a morning person. This is the part where everyone who has ever lived with me or knows me well can start laughing. It's okay, I'm laughing too. I've tried and failed at this so many times that I'm not even sure why I'm trying again.

All summer, the kids have been getting up early. Mr. Mordecai is already up, and they go pester him while I laze in bed. It's not very nice of me to throw all that burden on him first thing in the morning. Also, school is starting soon, and I have noticed that I am the key to the way our mornings go. If I'm late, everyone is. If I'm on time, we have a much better chance of being on time, cheerful, and productive.

But my morning self is so terrible, so grumpy. All it cares about is staying in bed five minutes longer. My morning self turns off the alarm clock in its half-sleep; it rolls over and groans at people who try to get it out of bed; it doesn't care about what's going on in the rest of the house: in short, it is selfish. It cares only about itself, and I like to think of this morning person as a person separate from the person I usually am. But it is a part of me, as much as I hate to admit ownership of it, and I suppose I need to conquer it.

I am trying. I have gotten up more or less on time for the last few mornings. I have made breakfast for my family (we subsisted on cereal all summer). I am trying to be at least civil, since I can't manage cheerful.

What tips do you have for mornings? I need all the help I can get.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had any ideas. I have SEVERE issues in that area. I've struggled from the time I was in Junior High. Bleh. I can totally understand though!
    Lately I've been able to get up and moving while the kids are just watching an old Scooby Doo episode that we have or something fairly harmless. I like having time to myself first thing in the morning to pull it together. If I have to get up and immediately deal with people it really goes downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No help here; I'm just as bad as you are. :D Good luck! The only thing that really helps me is going to bed early, which I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad for having Mr. M. look after the kids in the morning. It might be good quality time for them.

    ReplyDelete