8/7/12

2012 reading update


My updated reading list for this year (additions since last time updated in bold):
  • Read two abridged classics
    • Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne
  • Read two science books
  • Read three classics I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 
    • Inferno by Dante Alighieri 
  • Read a book about grammar or the English language
    • The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
  • Read a book about literature
    • The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood by Jack Zipes
  • Read a book by C.S. Lewis
    • Mere Christianity
  • Read two books about parenting/kids
  • Read two books about Suzuki violin
  • Read something by Enid Blyton
    • Malory Towers series 
    • Some of The Naughtiest Girl series
  • Read five books that I own that I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    • My Name is Sus5an Smith. The 5 is Silent. by Louise Plummer 
    • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer 
    • The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye
    • Rosemary for Remembrance by Sunni Jeffers
  • Read two church books
    • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
  • Read two homemaking books
    • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Books that come out this year
    • Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
    • Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
    • Fever by Lauren DeStefano
    • Storybound by Marissa Burt
    • French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon 
    • A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont
    • For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
I'm currently working on a re-read of The Lord of the Rings series (not on the list, but I haven't read it in ten years, and it's time), and a biography of President George Albert Smith of the LDS church, which I'm really enjoying.

I must admit I've been reading toward my own cravings lately rather than toward my list. But I do seem to be chipping away at it, and who knows? Maybe I'll finish it before the end of the year. Only ten books left, plus at least five more new books that come out this year.

This year's releases that I want to read and haven't yet:
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce (March 13)
  • Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale (August 21)
  • Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (August 28)
  • Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy (September 25)
  • Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin (October 12)
I keep adding to this list as I spot more new books I want to read. What books coming out this year have you read, or do you want to read? Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. That's a great list! I just ordered Reflections of a Scientist by Henry Eyring. It sounds really good. President Smith's biography sounds really neat- I'll have to look into that. I don't have any really amazing recommendations, sadly. Have you read The Robe by Lloyd Douglas? I thought it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those. I'm adding them to my list—they both sound great.

      Delete