7/11/12

Uses for plain yogurt


After I learned to make homemade yogurt, I stopped making it because I just didn't know what to do with it. Luckily, I'm finally learning. Here are a few uses I've found for it. Please feel free to chime in with other ideas or recipes—I still feel that I'm only about halfway there.
  • Use in place of sour cream or mayonnaise in dips and dressings (ranch dressing, potato salad, onion dip, etc.). I use strained (Greek) yogurt for sour cream if my yogurt isn't very thick.
  • Use in place of sour cream in baking recipes (cakes, muffins, etc.), or water down and use in place of buttermilk or milk.
  • Use in place of sour cream in sauces (like in this stroganoff)—but beware, your result may not be exactly what you're used to. This is more likely to work well with full-fat yogurt.
  • Make tzaziki sauce (here is one recipe, which is a little fussier than how I make it). This stuff is so good, I could just eat it with a spoon. Come to think of it, maybe I'll start doing that. It's sugar free!
  • Make frozen yogurt.
  • Flavor it.
  • Save some to use for a starter for your next batch (you can even freeze it!).
  • Learn to eat yogurt plain (I haven't been able to do this, but my mom has).
  • Use it in smoothies.
  • Stir a bit into your oatmeal.
  • Add flavoring and freeze into popsicles.

Recipes I want to try that call for yogurt:

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I just discovered that Greek yogurt is a GREAT substitute for sour cream. So much healthier too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of things on my blog - here's two that might be unique:

    http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2010/10/sunday-dinner-baked-potatoes-with-greek.html

    one of our favorite pies (or use sour milk):
    http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2012/01/dark-days-7-more-greens-but-dessert-too.html

    I do make smoothies and toast occasionally for summer breakfasts. Then I use plain yogurt with fruit and honey in the smoothie.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried using yogurt instead of sour cream once but hated it, sadly. Luckily my kids will just plain eat the stuff or I make popsicles. That cold cucumber soup sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete