7/27/12

Switching to natural peanut butter


We have switched from margarine to butter; from white rice to brown; from paper napkins to cloth. Our most recent switch was to natural peanut butter, and it hasn't been painless.

Natural peanut butter takes some getting used to. It doesn't taste the same right out of the jar, since there's no added sugar. The texture is different, too. Tiger Lily, my three-year-old, didn't like it at first, but she finally came around. I like natural peanut butter much better in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because they aren't so sickly sweet (the jelly always seemed superfluous to me before because the peanut butter was already so sugary).

The biggest hurdle for me so far has been oil separation. Regular peanut butter has added hydrogenated fats to keep the natural oils from the peanuts from separating from the rest of the peanut butter. Natural peanut butter (at least the sort that we get) comes with an inch of oil at the top. If you don't stir the oil in properly, the peanut butter gets drier and harder toward the bottom of the jar, until you practically have to chisel out the last bit.

I tried stirring up the first few jars we had, but it didn't go well. I buy the big 36-ounce size, and stirring it up with a knife just wasn't working. The jar is too tall and there's just too much in there. I couldn't get it all stirred up, and the top quarter of the jar was oily, while the bottom quarter was hard and dry. Ugh.

In any case, I found a solution to this, and now all is well.

Have you tried natural peanut butter? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I tried it once at my in-laws who decided to go vegan. I really didn't care for it, but I'm sure it's an acquired taste. I like you idea for mixing it up, but is it hard to spread since it's cold?
    I just about never eat peanut butter myself, but my kids eat it a lot. I like the idea of having less sugar in it, but then I just go and put honey on their sandwich too- so I guess I'd ruin any benefit! The oils don't bother me as much as they are fully hydrogenated in the peanut butter I buy. As long as there is NO partially hydrogenated=trans fat! Ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natural peanut butter is definitely not as good straight out of the jar. I'm not a huge peanut butter fan anyway, though.

      It's actually easier to spread straight out of the fridge, since it's kind of goopy at room temperature. :)

      Delete
  2. No. I havent tried it.. But.. I think I am toooo old to change now.. I love peanut butter and my grandchildren wouldnt know what to think , if I got rid of Our peanut butter.lol.

    ReplyDelete