7/26/12

Stirring natural peanut butter

On the left is a new jar of natural peanut butter. You can see how much oil is on the top. On the right is a jar that I stirred up with the mixer. It has been sitting in the fridge for over a week and has not separated at all.

We love our natural peanut butter, but there's one thing I don't like: trying to mix in all the oil on the top. It seems that no matter how hard you stir it it with a knife, the top is still oily and the bottom is still hard.

Last time I started a new jar of peanut butter, I emptied it into the bowl of my stand mixer. I gave it a very thorough mixing, then put it back in the jar and put it in the fridge. So far the oil hasn't separated back out. Hooray!

Before I figured this out I was seriously considering going back to normal peanut butter (the kind with added sugar and hydrogenated oils). But not now! I'm glad to have found such an easy solution.

6 comments:

  1. I've never thought of doing that. Brilliant! I've bought the Adam's No-Stir kind before, when I've felt too lazy to deal with all the stirring and separating. This is a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I always make such a mess trying to stir up a new jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I do it too. Works great! What is you favorite brand? I had been getting Kirkland brand at Costco, but I haven't seen it in quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get Adams brand. It's the only kind our store carries, I think. I haven't tried any others.

      Delete
  4. You're a genius! I have to ask my husband to stir the peanut butter because I don't have the muscles for it. Even so, the bottom is always dry. We're trying our method going forward. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using my stick blender to do this. We get the costco kind, and there is enough headroom for me to insert and run the blender, as long as I don't fling it around too much. Haven't had it re-separate yet.

    ReplyDelete